Loyalty is a complex yet basic and profound element of our relationships. Calling upon our loyalty and dedication, life allows us to experience fully our ability to love others. In our relationships, we trust each other, we share our experiences, we occasionally fight or argue but we always forgive eventually. And that’s how loyalty plays its role, ensuring our relationships lasts for a lifetime.
Loyalty makes us put our needs on the back burner, when we have to, and place loved ones’ needs first; we know that we can count on them to return such kindness, but that is not why we do it. We do it because that is the way of love, and loyalty is requisite for love, a force that sustains, nurtures, helps us grow, and lets us be ourselves.
Quotations on Loyalty below will run you through aspects of relationships, friendship, loyalty as a principle and most importantly how loyal are you to yourself.
“You don’t earn loyalty in a day. You earn loyalty day-by-day.” –Jeffrey Gitomer
“Love and loyalty runs deeper than blood.”– Richelle Mead
“Loyalty is the strongest glue which makes a relationship last for a life time.”– Mario Puzo
- “We have to recognize that there cannot be relationships unless there is commitment, unless there is loyalty, unless there is love, patience, persistence.” – Cornel West
- “Loyalty is the pledge of truth to oneself and others.” – Ada Velez-Boardley
- “There was something about totally loyalty, uncritical devotion, endless patience, perpetual forgiveness and the general inability to believe that a loved one could ever do anything wrong that, frankly, just gave him the creeps.” – Joanne Harris
- “What is loyalty? which starts from selfless efforts and ends with self-respect, which starts from love and ends with non-ending commitments, which absorbs all insult and still ready to give a hand, which forget all negative tags and still hoping to get a positive word, which is looking for the path where true efforts are seen in unbiased way….” – Sonal Takalkar
- “Blood makes you related, loyalty makes you family.”
In this article
Loyalty in Relationship
The undying faith in the power of a loyal relationship means one risk it all for matters of the heart.
Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
“Pooh!” he whispered. “Yes, Piglet?”
“Nothing,” said Piglet, taking Pooh’s paw.
“I just wanted to be sure of you.”
- A woman’s loyalty is tested when her man has nothing. A man’s loyalty is tested when he has everything.”
- “We men and women are all in the same boat, upon a stormy sea. We owe to each other a terrible and tragic loyalty.” – G.K. Chesterton
- “Hold faithfulness and sincerity as first principles.” – Confucius
- “What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined… to strengthen each other… to be at one with each other in silent unspeakable memories.” – George Eliot
- “One of the things that makes me who I am is the loyalty I have to people I hold close to my heart.” – Simone Elkeles
- “Two people holding each other up like flying buttresses. Two people depending on each other and babying each other and defending each other against the world outside.” – Erica Jong
- “They were governed by private loyalties which they did not question. What mattered were individual relationships, and a completely helpless gesture, an embrace, a tear, a word spoken to a dying man, could have value in itself.” –George Orwell
- “Loyalty is beyond what anyone can explain, someone may claim to love you but still betray you, only a loyal person can stay with you even if it’s going to cost them their peace and joy.” – Bamigboye Olurotimi
Loyalty in Friendship
When it comes to loyal friends you are tuned-in. You have real knowledge of their values and priorities, even if you don’t always see it eye-to-eye. This kind of intimacy bodes well with loyal and enduring friendships, as the following quotes below highlights:
- “Even though I can’t solve your problems, I will be there as your sounding board whenever you need me” – Sandra K. Lamberson
- “Your truest friends are the ones who will stand by you in your darkest moments – because they’re willing to brave the shadows with you – and in your greatest moments – because they’re not afraid to let you shine.” – Nicole Yatsonsky
- “Are we not like two volumes of one book?” – Marceline Desbordes-Valmore
- “There isn’t much that I can do, But I can sit an hour with you, And I can share a joke with you, And sometimes share reverses, too…. As on our way we go.” – Maude V. Preston
- “If by my life or death I can protect you, I will.” J.R.R. Tolkien
- “We are each other’s reference point at your turning points” –Elizabeth Fishel
- “To have one loyal friend is far better than many fake friends.” –Lailah Gifty Atika
- “What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?” – George Eliot
- “Thought fitted thought; opinion met opinion: we coincided, in short, perfectly” – Charlotte Bronte
- “If, after I go out, a friend of mine gave a feast, and did not invite me to it, I shouldn’t mind a bit. I can be perfectly happy by myself … but if, after I go out, a friend of mine had a sorrow, and refused to allow me to share it, I should feel it most bitterly. If he shut the doors of the house of mourning against me I would come back again and again and beg to be admitted, so that I might share in what I was entitled to share in. If he thought me unworthy, unfit to weep with him I should feel it as the most poignant humiliation, as the most terrible mode in which disgrace could be inflicted on me” – Oscar Wilde
- “I may be stupid, as you say, to believe in honour and friendship and loyalty without price. But these are virtues to be cherished, for without them we are no more than beasts roaming the land.” – David Gemmell
- “A friend is someone who walks into a room when everyone else is walking out.” –Gay Moore
- “True friends are those who came into your life, saw the most negative part of you, but are not ready to leave you, no matter how contagious you are to them” – Michael Bassey Johnson
- “Unlike the puerile loyalty to a conviction, loyalty to a friend is a virtue – perhaps the only virtue, the last remaining one.” –Milan Kundera
- “You can’t train people loyalty. A person with loyalty is a great asset than a smart but disloyal one…” –Assegid Habtewold
- “I don’t run when my friends need me.” – Rick Riordan
- “Trust is the reciprocal experience, knowledge and understanding of another that enables them to feel safe whether they are present or absent, each person knowing that neither will betray mutual faith, friendship and loyalty, which endures through the most challenging of circumstances” – Suzy Davies
Family, a very important institution of a society and significant pillar in every person’s life. One might be unfortunate with other relationships or friendships but nothing matches with the loyalty entrenched in family bonds.
- “Together we shared a bond not even death would violate.” –Dee Remy
- “But what are loyalty and caring really worth? To me? Everything.” – Richelle Mead
- “My father wrote: always question where your loyalties lie. The people you trust will expect it, your greatest enemies will desire it, and those you treasure the most, will, without fail, abuse it.” – Emily Thorne
- “Just because a person is young doesn’t mean that being loyal to someone isn’t important. And it still hurts if someone isn’t loyal to you.” – C. C. Hunter
- “If a man asks me for my loyalty… I will give him my honesty. If a man asks me for my honesty… I will give him my loyalty!” – John Boyd
- “People feel more loyalty to how they think things should be than to other people, including their family.” – Megan Giddings
To live by Loyalty as a Principle
You have read how loyal relationships, friends and family comes along. However, what’s most important to understand is that it’s only possible when each of us lives by such principle in their lives. As the wisdom unfolds in the following quotes:
- “The scholar does not consider gold and jade to be precious treasures, but loyalty and good faith.” – Confucius
- “Loyalty cannot be blueprinted. It cannot be produced on an assembly line. In fact, it cannot be manufactured at all, for its origin is the human heart – the center of self-respect and human dignity. It is a force which leaps into being only when conditions are exactly right for it – and it is a force very sensitive to betrayal.” –Maurice Franks
- “Loyalty is a continuous phenomenon, you don’t score points for past action,” –Natasha Pulley
- “Sometimes we are loyal to more than one thing. When there’s a conflict, we have to choose which loyalty to honor.” – Claudia Gray
- “You don’t earn loyalty in a day. You earn loyalty day-by-day” –Jeffrey Gitomer
- “Where there is loyalty, weapons are of no use.” –Paulo Coelho
- “Loyalty is still the same, whether it win or lose the game; true as a dial to the sun, although it be not shined upon.” – Samuel Butler
- “Loyalty is not defined when you choose each other when it suits you. Loyalty is defined when you are super mad at them and still you don’t seek someone else’s shoulder.” –Sarvesh Jain
- “And loyalty is a valued commodity. It can be sold… not bought, but sold” –Frank Herbert
- “Repeat business or behavior can be bribed. Loyalty has to be earned.” – Janet Robinson
- “The greater the loyalty of a group towards the group, the greater is the motivation among the members to achieve the goals of the group, and the greater the probability that the group will achieve its goals.” – Rennis Likert
- “Leadership is a two-way street, loyalty up and loyalty down.” – Grace Murray Hopper
- “…loyalty is complicated. From the outside, it’s duty; from the inside, it’s love.” –Nicola Upson
- “Loyalty. Is it something only dogs know? When I think of it, I wonder if I would rather have it than love. Whereas love is often an over-used word and an unpredictable feeling, the other is nothing but dependability.” –Donna Lynn Hope
- “Loyalty publicly results in leverage privately.” – Andy Stanley
- “One owes loyalty, only, to those who demonstrate in kind.” – T.F. Hodge
- “Part of patience is knowing your truth and staying loyal to it; you just can’t allow your face to betray what an attack on it actually makes you feel.” A.D. Aliwat
- “Not all bees are loyal to the same hive.” –Marty Rubin
- “People defending you in your absence speak a lot more about them than about you. Loyalty is still loyalty even when no one is looking.” – Sarvesh Jain
- “Loyalty, which asserts the continuity of past and future, binding time into a whole, is the root of human strength; there is no good to be done without it.” –Ursula K. Le Guin
- “Loyalty has nothing to do with having billions in your accounts, giving food to the poor, having rich as friends or allies, it’s about having people in your life who are ready to die for you to live.” –Bamigboye Olurotimi
- “Love and loyalty work hand-in-hand” –Jeremey Gove
Are you Loyal to your own self?
It’s highly important for you to figure out how loyal you are to your own self. Do you know what you desire in life? If yes, you know what your direction is? Do you know whatever steps you are taking in life is for your sake and for your happiness?
- “You understand more about yourself when you realize you’re not as loyal as you like to think you’re” – Sarvesh Jain
- “Once you pick a side, you can’t straddle the fence.” – Carlos Wallace
- “Simply be honest. In all things, be loyal to your truth.” Kris Franken
- “There’s such a thing as loyalty, said Jane…. As you get older you will learn that it is a virtue too important to be lavished on individual personalities.” C.S. Lewis
Most of us go through life with many acquaintances but only few loyal ones, may it be your siblings, friends, soul-mate or even a work colleague. With these few loyal ones, we can relax and let down our guard, revealing our dreams and plans for the future and our deepest hopes and aspirations, always knowing that our secrets are safe, and that we won’t be ridiculed for our thoughts. The loyal ones are whom we confide our most burdensome worries and insecurities. They accept us for who and what we are, we grant the same acceptance in return because loyal bonds never die.
Be loyal to your-self, Cherish and appreciate the loyal ones in your life.